Daily Assignment Sheet
Teacher: Brenda Lecklider Date Assigned: April 1st
Class: History Date Due: April 4th
Tuesday: Read Catherine the Great in Chapter 26 of The Story of the World. After the first reading, give a narration to a parent. After the narration, answer the questions in the History Notebook.
Do the Map Work for Chapter 26:
- Peter III was born in Kiel, Germany. Draw a red arrow from Kiel to St. Petersburg.
- Catherine was born in Germany and moved from Germany to Russia. Draw a black arrow from the German states to St. Petersburg.
- The first time Catherine went to see Peter she traveled from St. Petersburg to Moscow. Draw a black arrow from St. Petersburg to Moscow.
- When Peter III came to the throne, he forced the Russian soldiers to become more like the Prussian soldiers. The Prussians and Russians had been fighting for years. Find the border between Prussia and Russia. Draw a thick brown line between the two countries.
- Catherine liked some of the ideas of the West. Color France and Great Britain, the West, orange. Draw an orange box around “Russia.”
Wednesday: Study for Thursday’s short Latin quiz. Students will be quizzed on the following words:
digitus finger, toe, inch digit
caput, capitis head capitalism, captain, cabbage
manus hand manufacture, manicotti, manuscript
pes, pedis foot pedal, pawn, pedometer
corpus, corporis body incorporate, corpulence, corps
centum hundred cent, century, centimeter, percent, centigrade
mille thousand mile, mill, millimeter, millennium
ignis fire ignite, ignition, igneous
bonus good bonus, bounteous, bounty, debonaire, bonanza
sol sun solar, solarium, parasol
luna moon lunar, lunatic, lunacy
trans across, over, beyond, through transport, transcript, transfer, transparent
terra land territory, terrace, terra cotta, Mediterranean Sea
dormio, dormitum sleep dormitory, dormant, dormer window
stella star stellar, constellation
Research one of the following individuals (students may choose another person in this time period with my permission) and complete the attached Graphic Organizer.
Catherine the Great Marie Antoinette Louis XVI
Robespierre Captain Cook Eli Whitney
Napoleon James Watt (or other inventors of this time)
Ieyasu Tokugawa Meriwether Lewis William Clark
Any major figure in the American Revolution
Students will use this information to make a famous person book. An example of this book was shown in class. Come to class on Thursday prepared to work on this project. Students may wish to bring scraps of fabric, glitter, or other craft materials to decorate the figure. In the past, students have found it very helpful to print off a picture of the face of the person to paste on to the paper person book (or are prepared to draw the face onto the famous person book).
Responsibility: Please make sure that your student has completed the homework.
Parent Signature: ___________________________________________
To Bring to Class: History book, notebook, homework, and colored pencils